Our hides have a nice stretch, are clean, and have very little shrinkage when drying on the form. Hides that are wet tanned undergo our normal tanning process. All hides are pickled, shaved, etc., hides are finished and packaged with the customer information. They are sent to you after being frozen. For mounting purposes, these hides do not need to be rehydrated, just thaw them out and you’re set to work.
Hides that are dry tanned undergo the same tanning process as wet tans, however, these hides go an extra step with tanning solutions to help them tumble garment dry. For mounting purposes, dry tanned hides must be rehydrated. (see Re-Hydrating Instructions below)
Old Barn offers a beautiful customer ready Rug, for any species. We can handle the tanning, mounting, painting, and ruffling. Totally customizable, you choose the ruffle color combo and back felt color. Whether it's closed or open mouth, we make sure to use the highest quality jaw sets available. You can view ruffle color options and pricing by clicking here
SKULL CLEANING & HYDRO-DIPPING
Old Barn can beetle, degrease, and whiten your customers skulls. We also offer multiple Hydro-Dip patterns that can be applied to skulls whether we clean them or not. For cleaning and hydro-dipped pricing click here
To Rehydrate Dry Tan hides for mounting use 4 ounces of salt per gallon of luke warm water. Soak hide for approximately 1 hour in salt water solution. Drip drain and place hide in a plastic bag at room temperature to sweat overnight. Ready to be either mounted or frozen the next day. Please note that adding the salt helps to prevent acid swell.
- PREP/MOUNT READY -Our hides are priced unprepped. We get very close when shaving but if you wish to have your hide "mount ready" additional $65 per hide as available.
- LONG CAPES - $10 upcharge on Long Capes and any additional skinning or fleshing due to additional labor involved.
- RUSH HIDES ARE ADDITIONAL 30% ADDED TO PRICE
- $50 charge for skinning Small Mammals.
- $25 for removing skulls without horns.
- $50 for skinning skulls with horns.